Learn the practical skills and knowledge to construct tailored garments, where you choose to make a skirt or pair of trousers, a jacket and waistcoat. You will also complete design and research units as well as folder work to support your garments.
During the course you will:
- measure and record body measurements accurately
- recognise the characteristics of a range of fibres – natural and man-made
- recognise fabrics appropriate to tailored garments
- recognise and select appropriate linings/interfacings and haberdashery for fabric and function
- use tools and equipment carefully and safely
- select pattern styles for tailored garments to compliment a variety of figure shapes
- adjust patterns as necessary
- prepare fabrics for cutting and stitching using an economical lay
- handle fabrics correctly during cutting, stitching and pressing
- demonstrate competence in pressing, under-pressing and top-pressing
- finish garments correctly, with lining where appropriate
Please note, we no longer offer City & Guilds in Tailoring.